The purpose of this study was to assess efficacy, including inhibition of radiographic progression, and safety with an active drug versus placebo and versus an active comparator, an active drug, in adults with with moderately to severely active rheumatoid arthritis (RA) who are on a stable background of methotrexate (MTX and who have an inadequate response to MTX.
18 Years and older.
- Adult male or female, at least 18 years old.
- Diagnosis of RA for greater than or equal to 3 months.
- Subjects must have been on oral or parenteral methotrexate (MTX) therapy greater than
or equal to 3 months and on a stable prescription of greater than or equal to 15 to 25
mg/week (or greater than or equal to 10 mg/week in subjects intolerant of MTX at doses
greater than or equal to 12.5 mg/week) for at least 4 weeks prior to the first dose of
study drug. In addition all subjects should take a dietary supplement of folic acid or
folinic acid throughout the study participation.
- Meets the following minimum disease activity criteria: greater than or equal to 6
swollen joints (based on 66 joint counts) and greater than or equal to 6 tender joints
(based on 68 joint counts) at Screening and Baseline Visits.
- At least one of the following at Screening: greater than or equal to 3 bone erosions
on x-ray OR greater than or equal to 1 bone erosion and a positive rheumatoid factor
OR greater than or equal to 1 bone erosion and a positive anti-cyclic citrullinated
- Subjects with prior exposure to only one biological disease-modifying anti-rheumatic
drugs (bDMARD) (except adalimumab) may be enrolled (up to 20% of total study
population) if they have documented evidence of intolerance to the bDMARD or limited
exposure (less than 3 months), but required washout periods need to be satisfied.
- Except for MTX, subject must have discontinued all conventional synthetic
disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (csDMARDs).
- Prior exposure to any Janus kinase (JAK) inhibitor (including but not limited to
tofacitinib, baricitinib, and filgotinib).
- Subjects who have been exposed to adalimumab or who are considered inadequate
responders to bDMARD therapy as determined by the Investigator.
- History of inflammatory joint disease other than RA. History of secondary Sjogren's
Syndrome is permitted.