Types of Information Collected
Collection of Personal Information
- Does AbbVie collect “sensitive” personal information?
- How does AbbVie use personal information that I have provided?
- Will AbbVie combine personal information I provide on an AbbVie website with other personal information about me?
- What choices do I have about how AbbVie collects and uses personal information about me?
- Does AbbVie share personal information with third parties?
- Who within AbbVie will have access to personal information about me?
- How does AbbVie secure personal information?
- Does AbbVie transfer personal information to different jurisdictions?
- How does AbbVie protect the privacy of children?
- How may I correct personal information or delete it from current customer records?
Contact Information and Policy Updates
Types of information collected
Personal information means information that identifies you or could reasonably be used to identify you and which is submitted to and/or collected by AbbVie websites and maintained by AbbVie in an accessible form. Examples of personal information include your name, your postal address, your email address, and your telephone number.
What types of information does AbbVie collect on-line?
- Personal Information You Submit: AbbVie collects personal information that you enter into data fields on AbbVie websites. For example, you may submit your name, postal address, email address, and/or other information in order to receive information about various subjects, register for AbbVie programs, contact AbbVie customer service, or respond to AbbVie surveys. To protect your privacy, you should not provide AbbVie with any information that is not specifically requested.
- Passive Collection of Certain Other Technical and Web Browsing Information: AbbVie websites may collect information about your visits to AbbVie websites without you actively submitting such information. This information may include, for example, your browser type and language, your operating system, your Internet Protocol (IP) address, the URLs of sites you visited before and after visiting the AbbVie website, the web search that landed you on the AbbVie website, and web pages and advertisements you view and links you click on within the AbbVie website. This information may be collected using various technologies, such as cookies, Internet tags, and web beacons. Your Internet browser also automatically transmits to AbbVie websites some of this information, such as the URL of the website you just visited and the browser version your computer is operating.
Collection of personal information
Does AbbVie collect “sensitive” Personal Information?
AbbVie collects via some AbbVie websites personal information, such as health related information, that may be designated as “sensitive” under data privacy laws in some jurisdictions only where you consent to this. AbbVie shall adopt additional measures as required by local law for the processing of such information. In addition, individual AbbVie subsidiaries or affiliates may adopt measures to address local custom or social expectation about such information. By providing us with sensitive personal information, you consent to AbbVie collecting, transferring, storing, and processing it.
How does AbbVie use personal information that I have provided?
AbbVie will use the personal information you provide through AbbVie websites to respond to your questions and to provide you with efficient customer service. We may also use this personal information for other business purposes, such as to offer you the opportunity to receive notices regarding AbbVie’s products or services, to invite you to participate in surveys about our products, or to notify you about special promotions.
Will AbbVie combine personal information I provide on an AbbVie website with other personal information about me?
- AbbVie may combine the personal information that a customer provides on one AbbVie website with the personal information provided by that customer on other AbbVie websites.
- AbbVie may combine personal information that you provide to us on-line with our off-line records.
- AbbVie may combine personal information that you have provided to us directly with records provided by third parties.
We use this consolidated information to help us better design AbbVie websites and AbbVie products, to communicate information to you, to enhance our marketing and research activities, and to facilitate other business functions.
What choices do I have about how AbbVie collects and uses personal information about me?
You may always limit the amount and type of personal information that AbbVie receives about you by choosing not to enter any personal information into forms or data fields on AbbVie websites. Some of our on-line services can only be provided to you if you provide us with appropriate personal information. Other parts of AbbVie websites may ask whether you wish to opt into or opt out of our contact lists for offers, promotions, and additional services that may be of interest to you.
Does AbbVie share personal information with third parties?
AbbVie will not sell or licence your personal information to third parties except in connection with the sale or transfer of a product line or division, or in connection with a joint marketing programme.
AbbVie may share your personal information with third parties with whom AbbVie is jointly marketing a product or service, or jointly conducting a program or activity. It is AbbVie’s practise to notify you if you are registering for a programme which is conducted in conjunction with another company that may require access to your personal information. AbbVie may also share your personal information with vendors with whom AbbVie contracts to carry out business activities for AbbVie. If AbbVie provides your personal information to vendors to assist us with our business activities, it is AbbVie’s practise to require those vendors to keep your personal information confidential and to use your personal information only to perform functions for AbbVie. Additionally, AbbVie may share your personal information with a third party in connection with the sale or transfer of one of its product lines or divisions so that the buyer can continue to provide you with information and services.
AbbVie reserves the right to disclose your personal information to respond to authorised information requests from government authorities, to address national security situations, or when otherwise required by law.
Who within AbbVie will have access to personal information about me?
Personal information can be accessed by a restricted number of AbbVie employees. We train our employees about the importance of privacy and how to handle and manage customer data appropriately and securely.
How does AbbVie secure personal information?
It is AbbVie’s practise to secure each web page that collects personal information; however, the confidentiality of personal information transmitted over the Internet cannot be guaranteed. We urge you to exercise caution when transmitting personal information over the Internet, especially personal information related to your health. AbbVie cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will not gain access to your personal information; therefore, when submitting personal information to AbbVie websites, you must weigh both the benefits and the risks.
Does AbbVie transfer personal information to different jurisdictions?
AbbVie stores data on secured servers in several countries around the world. Please be aware that information you provide to us or we obtain as a result of your use of the AbbVie websites may be processed and transferred to countries other than the country in which you are resident, including the United States. The privacy and data protection laws in such countries may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence. By using and participating in any AbbVie websites or providing us with your information, you consent to this collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in such countries.
How does AbbVie protect the privacy of children?
AbbVie does not knowingly collect or use any personal information from children (we define "children" as minors younger than 13) on AbbVie websites. We do not knowingly allow children to order our products, communicate with us, or use any of our on-line services. If you are a parent and become aware that your child has provided us with information, please contact us using one of the methods specified below, and we will work with you to address this issue.
How may I correct personal information or delete it from current customer records?
In accordance with local legal law, you may request that we remove your personal information from our current customer records or that we amend your personal information. Please notify us of your wishes by contacting us in one of the ways specified below. For our record keeping purposes, we will retain certain personal information you submit in conjunction with commercial transactions.
Why do AbbVie websites use “cookies” and other tracking technologies?
What types of cookies and other tracking technologies do AbbVie websites use?
- AbbVie websites use “session” cookies: Session cookies are temporary bits of information that are erased once you exit your web browser window or otherwise turn your computer off. Session cookies are used, for example, to improve navigation on our websites, block visitors from providing information where inappropriate (the site "remembers" previous entries of age or country of origin that were outside the specified parameters and blocks subsequent changes) and to collect aggregated statistical information.
- AbbVie websites may use “persistent” cookies: Persistent cookies are more permanent bits of information that are placed on the hard drive of your computer and stay there unless you delete the cookie. Persistent cookies store information on your computer for a number of purposes, such as retrieving certain information you have previously provided (e.g., passwords), helping to determine what areas of the website visitors find most valuable, and customising the website based on your preferences on an ongoing basis. Persistent cookies placed by this site on your computer may hold personally identifiable information, but only if you have registered or have otherwise consented to the retention of personally identifiable information you have provided at the site. Otherwise, our site's server only knows that an unidentified visitor with your cookies has returned to the site.
- AbbVie websites may use “web beacons” (also known as internet tags, single-pixel GIFs, clear GIFs, and invisible GIFs): A web beacon is a tiny graphic on a web page or in an email message that is used to track pages viewed or messages opened. Web beacons tell the website server information such as the IP address and browser type related to the visitor's computer. Web beacons may be placed on on-line advertisements that bring people to our site and on different pages of our site. Web beacons provide us with information on how many times a page is opened and which information is consulted.
Contact information and policy updates
How can I contact AbbVie?
If you have questions about the use, amendment, or deletion of personal information that you have provided to us, or if you would like to opt out of future communications from an AbbVie business or a particular AbbVie programme, please contact us by clicking on the "Contact Us" link on the website you are visiting or by emailing us at webmaster@AbbVie.com. Alternatively, you may send a letter to the following address:AbbVie Attention: Public Affairs 1 N Waukegan Rd North Chicago, IL 60064 United States
In all communications to AbbVie, please include the email address used for registration (if applicable), the website address or the specific AbbVie programme to which you provided personal information (e.g. AbbVie.com, etc.), and a detailed explanation of your request. If you would like to delete, amend or correct your personal information and are contacting us by email, please put "Deletion Request" or "Amendment/Correction Request”, as applicable, in the subject line of the email. We will do our best to respond to all reasonable requests in a timely manner.
How will I know whether AbbVie has updated this policy?